Friday 6 September 2013

Dad's Ribs

 
 
 
 
My dad (a.k.a. Cool Man Jim) doesn't eat meat, but he makes the most amazing ribs. They're not only slightly crispy, yet moist and fall-off-the-bone tender, but they're also so perfectly seasoned they taste delicious with or without BBQ sauce.

He made them for me the last time I visited the US and I decided I had to make them again when I got home. So, I asked him for the recipe...

Dad's Ribs:
"So...put the ribs in an oven-proof dish and bring to room temperature (whatever that is!) leaving out over night with spices rubbed into the meat. Next, add water, vinegar, brown sugar and pineapple juice in with the ribs, and cover tightly with foil. Put them in the oven at 225°F to 250°F / 110°C to 120°C (you want the liquid to steam the ribs) until the meat recedes about an inch from the end of the bone. At this point the meat is cooked. Put the ribs on a hot fire and finish turning over so as to brown but not burn. Baste with marinade to keep them moist. Reduce the heat of the grill to about 150°F to 200°F / 65°C to 90°C for 45 minutes to an hour, basting regularly. At this point the meat will fall off the bone so be careful handling."

Mine weren't as good as Dad's. But there's never a substitute for the real thing, is there?


PS: For spices, I used cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and salt. And mine took over 3 hours in the oven at 120°C.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment