Wednesday 27 February 2013

Another Kitchen Sink Salad




I have talked about "kitchen sink salads" before. The general idea is to put in as many ingredients, colors, and flavors as possible, with equal parts lettuce and everything else.

This may have been the most elaborate (and biggest) one I have ever done. I was inspired by the bag of fresh black kale my wonderful husband picked up at the farm shop, and by this recipe I found on my sister's pinterest board.

First, I tossed some mini chicken breast filets in chinese five spice, smoked paprika, honey, olive oil, and sea salt, cooked them up in a griddle pan, sliced them, and set them aside to cool. 

Then, I blanched the kale for about 30 seconds in boiling water, soaked it in ice water to stop it from cooking further, spun it dry, and chopped it.

To the kale, I added lettuce, finely grated sharp cheddar cheese, chopped spring onion, quartered cherry tomatoes, avocado, yellow bell pepper, sliced clementine (skins removed), dried cranberries, and the cooled chicken.

Finally, I dressed my salad with sea salt, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a bit of Tabasco.

It was huge and it was delicious. Now that it's gone, I wish I'd made more!



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment