Monday 2 July 2012

Vocabulary Lesson(s)


Since moving to England, I have discovered that the same word can have a completely different meaning in American English versus British English. Very confusing. Also, hilarious.

For example:

Jelly:
American: What you put on your peanut butter & jelly sandwich. As in, Smucker's jam and preserves.
British: The fruit-flavored, gelatin-based product you add boiling water to, and cool into a jiggly shape. As in, Jell-O.

Grill:
American: What you light a fire in and cook meat on, outside. Also, a method of cooking meat over a fire. As in, at my tailgate party, I'm going to grill burgers and hot dogs.
British: The very top part inside the oven. As in, the broiler.

Pickle:
American: What you put on a burger, or have on the side of a sandwich. As in, dill pickle.
British: A pickled vegetable relish, often served with bread and sharp cheddar cheese. As in, Branston Pickle. (Delicious, by the way.)

Pudding:
American: What you whisk into cold milk and refrigerate until it turns into creamy goodness; in flavors like vanilla, chocolate, banana, and pistachio. As in, Bill Cosby, instant Jell-O pudding.
British: Often, an all-encompassing term for dessert. Usually bread-/flour-based. Also includes savory dishes like steak & kidney pie. As in, not gluten free.

Lemonade:
American: The drink you get from squeezing lemons, and adding sugar and water. As in, fresh squeezed lemonade.
British: Same flavor. Always fizzy.

Chips:
American: What happens when you thinly slice a potato, fry it, and salt or otherwise flavor it. As in, I would like a bag of Ruffles Cheddar & Sour Cream potato chips. (Seriously. I would.)
British: What happens when you thickly slice a potato, fry it, and salt or otherwise flavor it. As in, french fries.

Pants:
American: "An outer garment covering each leg separately and usually extending from the waist to the ankle". (Merriam-Webster) As in, jeans, khakis, etc.
British: Underwear. As in, my 5 year old British nephew giggles every time I refer to my "pants", when I mean "trousers".
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I would mail you some cheddar & sour cream potato chips, but they'd probably be all crushed in the three weeks they took to get to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Instead, you can buy me a bag when I'm there in September!

      Delete
  2. Funny stuff, Liz! Pants...my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG ... I Love, Love, Love this post ... Would you be interested in guest blogging this content at Food Stories? Either way, I'm really enjoying your site so I'm nominating you for my Illuminating Blogger Award for informative, illuminating blog content. I know not everyone participates in blog awards but I hope you'll at least check it out because it's a great way to discover new blogs and meet new web friends. If you're interested in participating, you can check out the details at my site ... foodstoriesblog dot com & then click on "Illuminating Blogger Award Site" in the upper right-hand corner ... Either way, hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete